Welcome to the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy’s Financial Aid Website!
It is the goal of the Financial Aid Office to ensure that all students who are accepted to the Academy are able to attend, regardless of financial need.
Midshipmen attending the United States Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA) receive from the Federal Government their full tuition, room and board, uniforms, and books at no cost!
Midshipmen are, however, responsible for the payment of certain costs of educational supplies and services, which are NOT provided by the government. These include:
- Academy approved personal laptop computer
- Activity fees (intramural athletic, cultural events, health services, student newspaper, yearbook, etc.),
- Licensing Fees (TWIC Card, MMC Document, and USCG Licensing Exam Fees)
- Personal fees (self-service laundry, barber shop, and tailoring charges).
- Personal expenses & transportation costs for liberty and leave periods
USMMA participates in the Federal Student Aid (FSA) program. All students, regardless of income level, are eligible for Financial Aid. USMMA does not offer institutional or “In House” aid. In addition, outside award scholarships are welcomed from all sources. Students residing in states which offer tuition programs for qualified residents should contact the appropriate office to confirm if USMMA qualifies.
Financial Aid may be used help defray any costs associated with attendance at the Academy.
Students interested in Financial Aid should file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Instructions on how to file are available in the Apply for Aid tab of this website.
Please take time to review our FAQs and should you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact the Financial Aid Office.