The Diocese of Rockville Centre, upon appointment of the Catholic chaplain to the Academy by the Archdiocese for the Military Services and a written request from the chaplain to the diocesan bishop, will grant the chaplain general delegation to officiate at the Catholic marriages of the following:
- Midshipmen of the Academy - whether Catholic, or non-Catholic and petitioning to marry a Catholic.
- Graduates of the Academy and their children - whether Catholic, or non-Catholic and petitioning to marry a Catholic.
- Active and retired faculty and staff (full-time) of the Academy and their children - whether Catholic, or non-Catholic and petitioning to marry a Catholic.
No other Catholic marriage ceremonies are to be celebrated at the Academy Chapel since its primary purpose is to meet the pastoral needs of faculty, staff and midshipmen.
Marriage dispensations will be granted by the Archdiocese for the Military Services, by the Diocese of Rockville Centre, or by another Diocese, depending on the authority that possesses proper jurisdiction over the Catholic petitioner.
Except for marriages under the jurisdiction of the Archdiocese for the Military Services, all other Catholic marriages celebrated at the Academy Chapel will be recorded in the Chancery register of the Diocese of Rockville Centre and the documents pertaining to such marriages will be retained in the Chancery archives. In such marriages, the Rockville Centre Chancery will take responsibility for notifying the Catholic party's church of baptism, and sending a religious marriage certificate to the couple.
This policy has been in effect since May 1, 1986, and was revised on September 14, 1987, and July 8, 1999, after consultation between the Chancellor of Rockville Centre and the Academy Chaplain.
- Any Catholic wishing to marry must have written permission from the Catholic Church. This applies whether or not the person they are marrying is a Catholic. Failure to do so invalidates the sacramental wedding on the part of the Catholic.
- Couples must make initial arrangements for marriage 6-12 months in advance of the ceremony.
- Stole fees are negotiated/paid directly to the clergy by the couple.
- Catholic weddings must receive ‘Delegation’ from the Academy’s Catholic Chaplain. Clergy are responsible for requesting delegation which may be done in writing or phone call to Academy’s Catholic Chaplain only.
- All Catholic weddings are governed by the regulations of the Rockville Centre Diocese. NO paperwork is filed at the Academy but is sent directly to the Rockville Centre Chancery by the clergy person performing the wedding. For canonical purposes you are to treat recording of the marriage as occurring at the Academy in Rockville Centre. The only exception to this is marriage to a non-baptized where a dispensation is granted and the marriage is recorded in the parish of the Catholic party.
- The Catholic Clergy doing the preparation is to prepare the following:
- Baptismal Certificates.
- Pre-Matrimonial Investigation questionnaire (to be filed with the Rockville Centre Diocese.
- Pre-Cana certificate.
- Dispensations and any other particular canonical requirements should be obtained far in advance of the ceremony.
- Wedding Selections – We recommend the Together for Life Series by Rev. Joseph M. Champlin.
- Catholic Clergy are invited but not required to attend the rehearsal.
- We have all vestments and altar settings required for Catholic Mass.
- Upon completion of the ceremony all baptismal certificates, PMI and dispensations are to be sent to:
Diocese of Rockville Centre
P.O. Box 9023
Rockville Centre NY 11571-9023
516-678-5800 ext. 583