U.S. Merchant Marine Academy – Job Opportunity
Job Title: Sports Specialist (Baseball), AD-0030
Department: U.S. Department of Transportation
Agency: Maritime Administration
Sub Agency: U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
Job Announcement #: USMMA-2014-03
ENTRY LEVEL SALARY: $63,698/Annual
OPEN PERIOD: April 28, 2014 to May 2, 2014
SERIES & GRADE: AD-0030-01/01
POSITION INFO: Full Time, Excepted Service appointment with an Initial Term Not-To-Exceed 13 months; however, each year with a satisfactory performance appraisal, the appointment may be extended for an additional year.
DUTY LOCATIONS: 1 (One) Vacancy at the following location:
Kings Point, NY
WHO MAY BE
CONSIDERED: Applications will be accepted from any U.S. Citizen
The Mission of the United States Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA) is to educate and graduate licensed merchant mariners and leaders of exemplary character who will serve America’s marine transportation and defense needs in peace and war.
The position serves as a Sports Specialist working in the Department of Physical Education and Athletics as a Head Baseball Coach. One of the five Federal Service Academies, the USMMA is a four-year, residential college fully accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. Upon graduation, the Midshipmen (male and female) are awarded Bachelor of Science degrees, licensed as Merchant Marine Officers by the U.S. Coast Guard and commissioned as Officers in the U.S. Naval Reserve or active duty military service. Located on the North Shore of Long Island in Western Nassau County, it is one of the world’s foremost institutions in the field of maritime education and consists of 82 acres of waterfront land including a Museum, library and fitness/recreational facilities available to both faculty and staff. For further information, visit our web site at http://www.usmma.edu.
* You must be a U.S. citizen and meet all the education, specialized experience, any listed Licensure/Certification and selective factor requirements for consideration.
* Submit application and resume by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date
* Review Required Documents Section as documents are required by closing date
* This a Non-Tenure Track position
* This position is an Excepted Service appointment
* Successful completion of a background investigation is required.
* Relocation expenses will not be paid.
* This Job Announcement may be used to fill similar positions within 30 days.
* This position is not Telework eligible.
You will be required to perform the duties of Head Coach in the Academy’s Baseball program. You will also be responsible for the development and conduct of educational courses and programs, research, instruction and academic counseling of Midshipmen, and assuming a share of departmental and other academic responsibilities.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EVALUATIONS
Qualification standards are used to determine which applicants would be able to perform satisfactory in the position to be filled. The education, training, experience, or other requirements included in the qualification standards are minimum requirements, i.e., it would be unlikely that an applicant for employment would be able to perform satisfactorily in a particular position or occupational series if he or she did not possess these qualifications.
To qualify for this position, you must meet both the educational and specialized experience requirements below:
Minimum Educational Requirements:
The educational requirement for this Sports Specialist position includes a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in a field related to the duties of the position.
Note: Applicants who do not possess a Bachelor’s Degree in a field closely related to the duties required for the position may substitute a Bachelor’s Degree in an unrelated field if they also possess significant professional training and specialized experience that is closely related to the duties of the position at a level of complexity and responsibility equivalent to those performed in the position.
Specialized Experience: To qualify for this Sports Specialist position, applicants must possess at least 1 full time academic year (or equivalent) of experience teaching Physical Education, Physical Fitness, or similar related courses above the high school level or 1 sports season of full time experience (or equivalent) coaching and recruiting for a Baseball Program at the college or university level. Your resume and application materials (including college transcripts) must show that you have the education and specialized experience necessary to teach Physical Education related courses above the high school level.
Well qualified candidates must be highly motivated and experienced professionals possessing integrity, stamina, and ingenuity, and be capable of adjusting to various work environments, physical demands, and schedules.
This is a leadership position that requires the background and credentials necessary to administer an NCAA Division III athletic team program, therefore in order to be selected for this position you must either possess a graduate level degree from an accredited institution of higher education in an area closely related to the duties of this position (such as higher education administration, sports management, etc.) or have a graduate degree in an unrelated field plus professional level training and at least one year of experience in higher education administration performing duties at a level of complexity and responsibility equivalent to that of this position. Please note that this requirement must be supported by submission of college and/or training transcripts, certifications, and the information provided in your resume.
PREFERRED APPLICANTS SHOULD ALSO POSSESS:
* Master’s Degree in a field related to the duties of the position.
* At least two or more full years of NCAA Division I, II or III College level coaching as an Assistant Coach for Baseball.
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Trial Period: Applicant(s) selected under excepted service procedures must successfully complete a one-year trial period if not already completed.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
For this announcement, all applications will be reviewed to determine if they meet the qualifications and selective factor requirements for this position. Those applicants found to meet all of these basic requirements will be referred to the selecting official for further consideration. All referred veterans’ preference eligibles will be given positive consideration for selection.
Benefits: Benefits include health and life insurance, annual and sick leave, and retirement benefits. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal Employees at http://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insurance/new-prospective-employees/
How to Apply: You must submit a complete application package (including resume, transcripts documenting education/degree, license(s), certifications, and/or other required credentials, questionnaire responses, and supporting documents) no later than midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.
SEND ALL INFORMATION TO: HRApplicantInbox@usmma.edu
Note: You MUST list the Job Announcement # and Job Title in the subject line of your e-mail. If unable to send by email, application materials can be sent by U.S. Mail to the address below.
AGENCY CONTACT INFORMATION:
U.S. Department of Transportation / Maritime Administration
U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, Office of Human Resources
300 Steamboat Road
Kings Point, New York 11024-1699
The following documents must be received by the close date:
* RESUME - showing relevant experience and education
* COMPLETED APPLICANT QUESTIONNAIRE
* TRANSCRIPTS – Verifying that you meet the stated education requirements for the series. Unofficial copies are sufficient to apply but official transcripts may be required prior to appointment.
* ALL REQUIRED CERTIFICATION(S), LICENSE(S), AND/OR OTHER CREDENTIAL(S).
* CURRENT AND FORMER FEDERAL EMPLOYEES MUST SUBMIT AN SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action) showing your tenure, occupational series and grade level.
* VETERANS: In order to be considered as a preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, DD-214 (Member 4 copy) showing the type of discharge and dates of active duty. In addition, if you are claiming 10 point preference eligibility, you must also submit proof of entitlement of this preference such as a valid letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs certifying to the present existence of the service-connected disability and indicating the percentage of your disability. You must also submit a completed Request for 10 Point preference Form SF-15.
Additional information on Veterans Preference is available at: http://www.opm.gov/StaffingPortal/vetguide.asp
EEO Policy Statement: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/EEO_Policy_Statement
Reasonable Accommodation Policy Statement:
Unless specifically entitled by law, regulation, and/or other approved authority, upon appointment you will receive the entry level salary listed at the top of this announcement.
FAILURE TO SUBMIT ANY OF THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS BY THE CLOSING DATE OF THE VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION AND REMOVAL FROM CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
Please answer the following questions and include your responses with your application package:
1. Are you a U.S. Citizen?
a) Yes b) No
2. Are you claiming Veterans Preference Eligibility? If yes, please note that in order to receive positive consideration (hiring preference) based on veterans preference eligibility, you must provide all the appropriate documentation as listed in the ‘Required Documents’ section of this announcement with your application package.
a) Yes b) No
3. Which of the following responses best describes the education you have completed to qualify for this position? For responses ‘a’, ’b’ and ‘c’ please also list: Degree, Major, year completed, and school. You will also need to provide transcripts for verification of education.
a) I have earned a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from an accredited school in the discipline or related field for this position.
b) I have earned a Master’s degree (or equivalent) from an accredited school in the discipline or related field for this position.
c) I have earned a Doctorate degree (or equivalent) from an accredited school in the discipline or related field for this position.
d) None of the above.
4. I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this application package and questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application or its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the selection process: I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled; I may be denied an appointment; and/or removed and debarred from Federal service (5 CFR, Part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that responding ‘No’ to this item will result in my not being considered for this position.
a) Yes b) No
5. How did you first become aware of this position vacancy?
a) From a friend, family member, or colleague who is attending or working at the USMMA.
b) From HigherEdJobs.com
c) From the USMMA Official Website
d) Other source (Please identify): __________________________________
Failure to submit any of the required documents by the closing date of the vacancy will result in disqualification and removal from consideration for this position.