Memorandum from the Dean - Key Academic Planning Dates
KINGS POINT, N.Y., Oct. 16, 2020 – Volatile times place additional stress on us in a variety of ways; still the Academy team is working hard to fulfil our mission safely, even with many unknowns remaining in the near future.
As you know, current conditions have resulted in numerous changes to our previously published plans in order to ensure everyone can complete our graduation requirements. I am providing the following list of planning dates to keep everyone on the same course as the end of the first term approaches:
- First term final exams are scheduled from Monday, 11/2 to Friday, 11/6.
- There will be no trimester break; Second Trimester starts on Monday, 11/9, with Special Registration on that same day. (Details for Special Registration will be provided by the Registrar.)
- Second Trimester classes start on 11/10, following a Wednesday schedule. We made this change to ensure critical requirements could be accomplished prior to 11/24.
- 2022-B and 2023-B sailors will not return to the Academy at the end of their sailing period, rather they will return home and start second term classes on-line. They will not return to the Academy until January, 2021, with the rest of the Regiment.
- The Thanksgiving break will start after an individual Midshipman’s last scheduled class on Tuesday, 11/24. The Commandant and I will not approve Special Liberties for the Thanksgiving break that begin before the last scheduled Tuesday class. I will not approve cancelling/rescheduling classes, except in extreme circumstances.
- All classes will resume on-line on Monday, 11/30.
- Classes will pause on Friday, 12/11 for a holiday break. Leave will start after each Midshipman’s last scheduled class. The Commandant and I will not approve Special Liberties for the holiday break that begin before the last scheduled Friday class; I will not approve cancelling/rescheduling classes, except in extreme circumstances.
- Midshipmen will return to the Academy when authorized by the Commandant, scheduled, as of now, for on and after 1/3/2021.
- So, on Monday, 1/4, 2021 all second term classes will resume on-line, with some members of the Regiment in the barracks and some still away from campus.
Additional details concerning the remainder of term two and term three will be announced once plans for the return of the Regiment can be finalized. Everyone is advised to check email and social media regularly for updates to this schedule while you are away from the Academy. We will continue to refine plans as required to ensure everyone’s safety and security.
These uncertain times will continue to test our professionalism, but if everyone puts forth their best effort we can remain on track to graduate the Class of 2021, and also get the classes of 2022, 2023 and 2024 to sea and back to complete their academic requirements.
Stay safe, and ANV,
John R. Ballard, Ph.D.
Rear Admiral, USMS
Academic Dean and Provost
United States Merchant Marine Academy