Humanities Sea Year Project
Click Above Link for Humanities Sea Year Project Instructions AY 2013-2014
About the Project
During the long sea period, midshipmen will complete an essay based on reading and observation of shipboard leadership dynamics for their Humanities Sea Project. The project is worth one credit.
- To provide a quality reading experience while out at sea, encouraging midshipmen to read fictional, biographical, or historical books with literary merit and/or historical acumen. This will allow them time to reflect upon the psychological and moral issues of leadership as embodied in human models of leadership or authority.
- To enhance midshipmen’s knowledge of literature, biography, and/or history.
- To stimulate critical thinking about the topic of leadership—what works, what does not, and why.
- To provide opportunities for midshipmen to improve their writing skills, especially in the areas of cause-and-effect analysis and comparison/contrast.
- To provide an opportunity for midshipmen to submit finished written work that has gone through several drafts and proofreading stages and to remediate their writing deficiencies if necessary.
Last updated: Friday, December 6, 2019