There are two distinct processes which must be completed when applying to the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy.
- First, you must request a nomination
- Second, you must also do one of the following: either
Students may begin applying to the Academy on 15 May of your Junior Year of High School. The application deadline is 1 March of the year you wish to enter the Academy. The earlier you start the application, the sooner all related processes can begin (scheduling for your DoDMERB physical, for example). The later you apply, the greater the chance that you will not complete all processes by our established deadlines. If you are able, we strongly encourage you to Apply On-Line.
How to Complete Your Package
To be complete, your Application Package must contain all of the following:
- USMMA Admissions Application:
- Part I, completed by you, either on-line or manually
- Part II, completed by you, including your Biographical Essay
- Part III, completed by your High School, which also must include:
- Official High School Transcript(s)
- Official SAT and/or ACT standardized test scores
- Three (3) Letter(s) of Recommendation
- Candidate Fitness Assessment (CFA)
- College Transcript(s), if applicable
Mail completed form, with attachment(s), to:Director of AdmissionsU.S. Merchant Marine Academy300 Steamboat Road, Admissions CenterKings Point, New York 11024-1699
- Completed DoDMERB Medical Exam (Failing to disclose pre-existing medical conditions that you were aware of which are discovered after reporting to the USMMA may result in medical separation and you may be ineligible for readmission.)
- Nominations from a proper nominating authority (either a U.S. Representative or a U.S. Senator from your State of Residence/Domicile)
Candidates for admission to the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy must be at least 17 years of age, and not have passed their 25th birthday, before 1 July of the year of admission.
Candidates for admission who have already graduated from high school and are applying while they are enrolled in an undergraduate college/university program elsewhere have several additional requirements which must be met for admission consideration. Those may be found under the "Scholastic Requirements" section of the "Facts & FAQs" portion of the Admissions website (click here).
You should request an application and must complete it no later than the March 1 application deadline. You are strongly encouraged to complete this application early and must complete part 1 prior to receiving a nomination from your nominating authority. Early filing of an application will expedite processing of your admission file.
Candidate Reply Date
The Academy ascribes to the universal candidate reply date of May 1. All principal, conditional and alternate appointees are required to notify the Academy either of accepting or declining their status by that date.
U.S. candidates for admission to the Academy may apply on-line.
Privacy Act Statement
In accordance with 5 USC 552a(e)(3), the following information is provided to you when supplying personal information to the Maritime Administration.
- Authority which authorized the solicitation of the information : 46 USC 1295b and 1295g.
- Principal purpose(s) for which information is intended to be used: The information is used to evaluate each applicant for an appointment to the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy.
- The routine uses which may be made of the information: As background information on applicants for the selection process. To contact the applicant. The social security number is a basic identifier.
- Whether or not disclosure of such information is mandatory or voluntary (required by law or optional) and the effects on the individual, if any, of not providing all or any part of the requested information: Disclosure of the information is voluntary, but the applicant will not be considered further if all information is not provided.