U.S. Merchant Marine Academy - Job Opportunity
Job Title: Sports Specialist (Swimming & Diving), AD-0030
Department: U.S. Department of Transportation
Agency: Maritime Administration
Sub Agency: U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
Job Announcement #: USMMA-2013-02
OPEN PERIOD: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 to Wednesday, May 1, 2013
SALARY RANGE: $52,182.00 - $113,779.00/Year
SERIES & GRADE: AD-0030-00
POSITION INFO: Full Time Excepted Service appointment with an Initial Term Not-To-Exceed 13 months; however, each year with a satisfactory performance appraisal, the appointment may be extended for an additional year.
DUTY LOCATIONS: 1 (one) Vacancy at the following location: Kings Point, NY
WHO MAY BE
CONSIDERED: Applications will be accepted from any U.S. Citizen
The Mission of the United States Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA) is to educate and graduate merchant marine officers and leaders of honor and integrity who serve the maritime industry and armed forces and contribute to the economic, defense, and homeland security interests of the United States.
The position is that of a Sports Specialist (Swimming & Diving) working in the Department of Physical Education and Athletics as an Assistant Coach for the Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving activities; and also performs teaching and Lifeguard duties as needed. One of the five Federal Service Academies, the USMMA is a four-year, residential college fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Universities. Upon graduation, the Midshipmen (male and female) are awarded Bachelor of Science degrees, licensed as Merchant Marine Officers by the U.S. Coast Guard and commissioned as Officers in the U.S. Naval Reserve or active duty military service. Located on the North Shore of Long Island in Western Nassau County, it is one of the world’s foremost institutions in the field of maritime education and consists of 82 acres of waterfront land including a Museum, library and fitness/recreational facilities available to both faculty and staff. For further information, visit our web site at http://www.usmma.edu.
- You must be a U.S. citizen and meet all the education, specialized experience, and selective factor requirements for consideration.
- Submit application and resume by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date
- Review Required Documents Section as documents are required by closing date
- This a Non-Tenure Track position
- This position is an Excepted Service appointment
- Successful completion of a background investigation is required.
- Relocation expenses will not be paid.
- This Job Announcement may be used to fill similar positions within 30 days.
- This position is not Telework eligible.
You will be required to perform the duties of an Assistant Coach for the Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving activities, and to perform teaching and Lifeguard duties as needed. You will be responsible for the development and conduct of educational courses and programs, research, instruction and academic counseling of Midshipmen, and assuming a share of departmental and other academic responsibilities.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EVALUATIONS
Qualification standards are used to determine which applicants would be able to perform satisfactory in the position to be filled. The education, training, experience, or other requirements included in the qualification standards are minimum requirements, i.e., it would be unlikely that an applicant for employment would be able to perform satisfactorily in a particular position or occupational series if he or she did not possess these qualifications.
To qualify for this position, you must meet all of the educational, specialized experience, and selective factor requirements below.
Minimum Educational Requirements:
The educational requirement for this Sports Specialist position includes a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in a field related to the duties of the position.
Note: Applicants who do not possess a Bachelor’s Degree in a field closely related to the duties required for the position may substitute a Bachelor’s Degree in an unrelated field if they also possess significant professional training and specialized experience that is closely related to the duties of the position at a level of complexity and responsibility equivalent to those performed in the position.
To qualify for this Sports Specialist position, applicants must possess at least 1 full time academic year (or equivalent) of experience teaching Physical Education, Physical Fitness, or similar related courses above the high school level or 1 sports season of full time experience (or equivalent) coaching and recruiting for a Swimming & Diving Program at the college or university level. Your resume and application materials (including college transcripts) must show that you have the education and specialized experience necessary to teach Physical Education related courses above the high school level.
Well qualified candidates must be highly motivated and experienced professionals possessing integrity, stamina, and ingenuity, and be capable of adjusting to various work environments, physical demands, and schedules.
In addition to the above, you must possess the background and credentials necessary to demonstrate your ability to teach basic swimming and aquatic survival courses and to perform the duties of a lifeguard in both indoor and outdoor pool settings. Examples of such credentials include, but may not be limited to: CPR/AED Certification, USA Diving Safety Certification, and American Red Cross Lifesaving Certification. Applicants must provide copies of current (not expired) certifications, licenses, and/or other equivalent credentials to meet this requirement.
Trial Period: Applicant(s) selected under excepted service procedures must successfully complete a one-year trial period if not already completed.
PREFERRED APPLICANTS SHOULD ALSO POSSESS:
- Master’s Degree in a field related to the duties of the position.
- At least two or more full years of NCAA Division I, II or III college level coaching as an Assistant Coach of Men’s and Women’s Swimming & Diving.
- At least one full year of experience lifeguarding in an outdoor pool setting.
- At least one full year teaching swimming at various skill levels from beginner through advanced lifesaving and/or lifeguarding to adult (over the age of 18) students.
- Current (not expired) Certifications in CPR/AED, USA Diving Safety, Advanced Life Saving, Life Guarding, and/or Water Safety Instruction (or equivalent credentials).
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
For this announcement, all applications will be reviewed to determine if they meet the qualifications and selective factor requirements for this position. Those applicants found to meet all of these basic requirements will be referred to the selecting official for further consideration. All referred veterans’ preference eligibles will be give positive consideration for selection.
Benefits: Benefits include health and life insurance, annual and sick leave, and retirement benefits. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal Employees at http://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insurance/new-prospective-employees/
How to Apply: You must submit a complete application package (including resume, transcripts documenting education/degree, license(s), certifications, and/or other required credentials, question responses, and supporting documents) no later than midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.
SEND ALL INFORMATION TO: HRApplicantInbox@usmma.edu
Note: You MUST list the Job Announcement # and Job Title in the subject line of your e-mail. If unable to send by email, application materials can be sent by U.S. Mail.
AGENCY CONTACT INFORMATION:
U.S. Department of Transportation / Maritime Administration
U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, Office of Human Resources
300 Steamboat Road
Kings Point, New York 11024-1699
The following documents must be provided by the close date:
- RESUME - showing relevant experience and education
- COMPLETED QUESTIONNAIRE
- TRANSCRIPTS – Verifying that you meet the stated education requirements for the series. Unofficial copies are sufficient to apply but official transcripts may be required prior to appointment.
- ALL REQUIRED CERTIFICATION(S), LICENSE(S), AND/OR OTHER CREDENTIAL(S).
- CURRENT AND FORMER FEDERAL EMPLOYEES MUST SUBMIT AN SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action) showing your tenure, occupational series and grade level.
- VETERANS: In order to be considered as a preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, DD-214 (Member 4 copy) showing the type of discharge and dates of active duty. In addition, if you are claiming 10 point preference eligibility, you must also submit proof of entitlement of this preference such as a valid letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs certifying to the present existence of the service-connected disability and indicating the percentage of your disability. You must also submit a completed Request for 10 Point preference Form SF-15.
Additional information on Veterans Preference is available at: http://www.opm.gov/StaffingPortal/vetguide.asp
EEO Policy Statement: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/EEO_Policy_Statement
Reasonable Accommodation Policy Statement:
QUESTIONNAIRE: Please answer the following questions and include your responses with your application package:
1. Which of the following responses best describes the education you have completed to qualify for this position? For responses ‘a’ and ’b’ please also list: Degree, Major, Year completed, and school. You will also need to provide transcripts for verification of education.
a. I have completed a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from an accredited school in a related field for this position.
b. I have completed a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from an accredited school in an unrelated field but I possess significant professional training (must be documented by submission of training certificates and/or transcripts) and specialized experience (must be documented in your resume) that is closely related to the duties of the position at a level of complexity and responsibility equivalent to those performed in the position.
c. I do not possess the education and/or experience described in response a or b above and am therefore not qualified for this position.
2. Which of the following responses best describes the specialized experience that you possess to qualify for this position?
a. I have at least 1 full academic year of experience teaching Physical Education, Physical Fitness, or similar related courses above the high school level.
b. I have 1 full sports season of coaching and recruiting in a Swimming & Diving Program at the college or university level.
c. I have both the experience listed in ‘a’ and ‘b’ above.
d. I do not possess the specialized experience listed in response ‘a’ or ‘b’ above and therefore am not qualified for this position.
3. Which of the following responses best describes how you meet the selective factor for this position? Please also list each certification/license/credential, the issuing organization, and issue and expiration dates. Provide copies for verification purposes.
a. I possess the background and credentials to necessary to teach basic swimming and aquatic survival courses and to perform the duties of a lifeguard in both indoor and outdoor pool settings. I understand that my application package (resume and supporting documents) must include the information necessary to verify this statement including copies of current (not expired) certifications.
b. I do not possess the background and credentials to necessary to teach basic swimming and aquatic survival courses and to perform the duties of a lifeguard in both indoor and outdoor pool settings.
FAILURE TO SUBMIT ANY OF THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS BY THE CLOSING DATE OF THE VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION AND REMOVAL FROM CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.