U.S. Merchant Marine Academy - Job Opportunity
Job Title: Marine Transportation (Assistant Professor/Master of Training Vessel)
Department: U.S. Department of Transportation
Agency: Maritime Administration
Sub Agency: U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
Job Announcement #: USMMA-2013-03
OPEN PERIOD: May 9, 2013 to May 24, 2013
SALARY RANGE: $63,066.00 - $135,385.00 Per Annum
SERIES & GRADE: AD-2150-00/00
POSITION INFO: This position is an Excepted Service appointment not-to-exceed 6/30/2015; however, each year with a satisfactory performance appraisal, and any required approvals an additional year may be added to the appointment. Thus employment may be indefinite. For additional information on Tenure requirements, please contact the Academy Human Resources Office. This is a full-time/tenure track position.
DUTY LOCATION: 1 (One) Vacancies at the following location: Kings Point, NY
WHO MAY BE
CONSIDERED: Applications will be accepted from any U.S. Citizen
JOB SUMMARY: The Mission of the United States Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA) is to educate and graduate merchant marine officers and leaders of honor and integrity who serve the maritime industry and armed forces and contribute to the economic, defense, and homeland security interests of the United States.
The position is that of the Master of the Training Vessel Kings Pointer and an Assistant Professor in the Department of Marine Transportation, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, N.Y. The Academy is a degree granting institution fully accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. Upon graduation, the Midshipmen (male and female) are awarded Bachelor of Science degrees, licensed as Merchant Marine Officers by the U.S. Coast Guard and are commissioned as Officers in the U.S. Reserves or Active Duty Military Service. Located on the North Shore of Long Island in Western Nassau County, it is one of the world’s foremost institutions in the field of maritime education and consists of 82 acres of waterfront land including a Museum, library and fitness/recreational facilities available to both faculty and staff. For further information, visit our web site at http://www.usmma.edu.
* You must be a U.S. citizen and meet all the education, specialized experience, and licensure requirements for consideration.
* Submit application package by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date.
* Review Required Documents Section as documents are required to be submitted by the closing date.
* This position is an Excepted Service appointment
* Successful completion of a pre-employment Background Investigation is required.
* Relocation expenses will not be paid.
* This Job Announcement may be used to fill similar positions within 30 days.
As an Assistant Professor you will be responsible for the development and conduct of educational courses and programs within the department. You will also be responsible to conduct research, instruction and academic counseling of Midshipmen, and assume a share of departmental and other academic responsibilities as well as teaching classes in Nautical Science and Transportation Management. As the Master of the Training Vessel you will be responsible for the development of shipboard programs and managing all aspects of the training vessel operation.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EVALUATIONS
Qualification standards are used to determine which applicants would be able to perform satisfactory in the position to be filled. The education, training, experience, or other requirements included in the qualification standards are minimum requirements. i.e., it would be unlikely that an applicant for employment would be able to perform satisfactorily in a particular position or occupational series if he or she did not possess these qualifications.
To qualify for this position, you must meet the Educational, Licensure and Specialized Experience requirements listed below.
Minimum Educational Requirements:
To qualify for a Marine Transportation (Assistant Professor/Nautical Science) you must have a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Marine Transportation or a related field.
Examples of related fields include, but are not limited to: Safety of Life at Sea, Terrestrial and/or Celestial navigation, Firefighting (Marine), Ship Structure & Stability Marine Cargo Operations, Meteorology, RADAR/Automatic Radar Plotting Aid (ARPA), Electronic Navigation, Seamanship, or Maritime Communication.
Specialized Experience Requirements:
A minimum of 1 academic year of experience teaching Marine Transportation or Nautical Science at a college/university. Management experience in the shoreside marine transportation industry or commercial/military sailing experience may be substituted for teaching experience. You must have recent ship experience as either a Master or Pilot (within the last 5 years).
Applicants must have a current (not expired) U.S. Coast Guard License (or equivalent credential) valid for service on United States Flag Commercial Ships as a Master of Steam and Motor Vessels of any Gross Tons Oceans License and a valid Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW) 95 Certificate.
Maritime Academy experience and/or Dynamic Positioning certification with Dynamic Positioning Operator experience.
Trial Period: Applicant(s) selected under excepted service procedures must successfully complete a one-year trial period if not already completed.
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Basis for Rating:
For this announcement, all applicants will be reviewed to determine if they meet the basic qualifications for this position, specifically the educational, specialized experience and licensure requirements. All applications that are verified to meet the basic qualifications requirements will be referred to the selecting official for further consideration. All referred veterans’ preference eligible will be given positive consideration for selection.
Benefits: Benefits include health and life insurance, annual and sick leave, and retirement benefits. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal Employees at http://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insurance/new-prospective-employees/
How to Apply: You must submit a complete application package (including resume, transcript, license, education/ license/degree question response and supporting documents) no later than 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.
SEND ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS TO: HRApplicantInbox@usmma.edu
Note: You must list the Job Announcement # and Job Title in the subject line of your email. If you are unable to send your application materials by email, they can be sent by U.S. Mail but MUST be received by the closing date of the announcement.
AGENCY CONTACT INFORMATION:
U.S. Department of Transportation / Maritime Administration
U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, Office of Human Resources
300 Steamboat Road
Kings Point, New York 11024-1699
The following documents must be provided by the close date:
* RESUME - showing relevant experience and education
* COMPLETED QUESTIONNAIRE
* TRANSCRIPTS – Verifying that you meet the stated education requirements for the series. Unofficial copies are sufficient to apply but official copies may be required prior to appointment.
* ALL REQUIRED CERTIFICATION(S), LINCESE(S), AND /OR OTHER CREDENTIAL(S).
* CURRENT AND FORMER FEDERAL EPLOYEES MUST SUBMIT AN SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action) showing that you are qualified to work in the federal service in this series.
* VETERANS – In order to be considered as a preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, DD214. Your DD-214 need not be official but must show the type of discharge and dates of active duty. If you are claiming 10 point preference eligibility, you must submit proof of entitlement of this preference which is normally a valid letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs certifying to the present existence of the service-connected disability and indicating the percentage of your disability. Additional information is available at: http://www.opm.gov/StaffingPortal/vetguide.asp
* EEO Policy Statement: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/EEO_Policy_statement
* Reasonable Accommodation Policy Statement:
QUESTIONNAIRE: Please answer the following questions and include your responses with your application package:
1. Are you a U.S. Citizen?
2. Which of the following responses best describes the education you have completed to qualify for this position? For responses ‘a’, ’b’ and ‘c’ please also list: Degree, Major, year completed, and school. You will also need to provide transcripts for verification of education.
a) I have earned a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from an accredited school in the discipline or related field for this position.
b) I have earned a Master’s degree (or equivalent) from an accredited school in the discipline or related field for this position.
c) I have earned a Doctorate degree (or equivalent) from an accredited school in the discipline or related field for this position.
d) None of the above.
3. Indicate the number of college level credit hours you have taught in the last 5 years (on your resume).
4. Do you have a current U.S. Coast Guard Master of Steam and Motor Vessels of any Gross Tons Oceans License and STCW 95 certificate?
Yes or No
Failure to submit any of the required documents by the closing date of the vacancy will result in disqualification and removal from consideration for this position.